Have you carried out a patient satisfaction survey?
Every daily menu contains a comment section, giving the patient an opportunity to comment on each menu. These comments are collated on a monthly basis.
*** Please note, due to work currently underway at our hospital, while you can purchase food from our Aubergine restaurant, members of the public are not currently able to use the seating in the restaurant area. Refreshments and seating are available in the Marks & Spencer cafe in the front foyer.***
When you visit the hospital, we want you to enjoy the food you eat if you are admitted as a patient.
The Trust’s meals are produced on site by a team of qualified chefs. Patient menus are prepared in consultation with the Trust’s dietetic department so we can ensure they are nutritionally balanced, provide a choice and cover the dietary needs of our patients. Vegetarian options, as well as many specific dietary menus are available for each meal time. Our menus comply with the Better Hospital Food initiatives and the Patient-led Assessments of the Care Environment (PLACE) guidance from the NHS Constitution. Menu staff visit patients daily to collect the menus and discuss any dietary requirements or special requests.
Click here to see a typical menu.
Aubergine Restaurant, on the first floor of the hospital, off the North corridor, is open to all from 8am to 8pm seven days a week and serves a range of hot and cold meals, snacks and drinks.
You can get a coffee or a cold drink, select from our salad bar, grab a sandwich or enjoy a meal or filled baked potato.
Look out for our daily specials and vegetarian options.
Frequently asked questions
On average our team prepares and serves around 425,000 patient meals each year.
Yes, we routinely cook patient and staff food on site using fresh ingredients, many from local suppliers.
As of February 2024 we are temporarily serving different meals due to ongoing work in our kitchens.
No – our meals are usually prepared from fresh ingredients on site by our team of talented chefs.
Please note, from February 2024 there is a temporary change to the type of meals being served due to work being carried out in our kitchens.
All of the catering team are employed by the Trust, and most of them have worked here for over five years.
We have lots of favourable comments from patients about their meals, some even requesting the recipes.
- We were one of the first Trusts in the country to introduce special food for patients with swallowing difficulties. For example, a breast of chicken is cooked and pureed and then placed into a mould that resembles a chicken breast. The moulds make the food look as it should and therefore look more appetising and appealing to eat.
- It takes 40-45 minutes to serve 350 meals.
- Patients are able to choose what they would like to eat on the day.
- Favourites still include traditional roast meals, casseroles and our home made puddings.
- We have 12 different types of menus, covering most dietary requirements. However, for patients with an unusual diet or specific dietary needs we will meet with one of the dieticians and a menu is created for them.
- All our Chefs are professionally qualified, many having worked in local hotels and restaurants.