There may come a time when you may wish to express if:
- Baby is poorly or in our Neonatal Unit
- You have engorgement, blocked ducts, mastitis
- You want to encourage baby to feed in the first few days
- You need to give as a top up
- You're going back to work
It is advised to hand express in the first few days whilst you are producing colostrum. When your full milk has come in you can use a pump as well as some hand expressing.
There are pump loan schemes in the community please speak to your midwife or health visitor for details.