The Pharmacy department offers a comprehensive pharmaceutical service covering many aspects of pharmacy required for a teaching hospital.
We play a major role in a patient’s care at the James Paget University Hospital. This is achieved by supplying and ensuring the safe and effective use of medicines as well as providing information about medicines to both hospital staff and patients.
The pharmacy team comprises of over 90 staff members, made up of pharmacists, pharmacy technicians, pharmacy assistants and clerical staff.
On an average day we will dispense around 900 prescriptions from the dispensary.
When you visit our Hospitals, please bring all your medicines with you, where possible in their original containers. When you go home the Hospital Pharmacy will return the medicines you need and supply any new treatment prescribed.
Meet our senior team
Top Row (Left to Right): Clare Harper, Procurement & Homecare Manager; Chris Street, Chief Pharmacist; Mario Price, Senior Production Pharmacist; and Charles Barsted, Deputy Chief Pharmacist.
Bottom Row (Left to Right): Amy Skinner, Clinical Team Leader; Kalvin Scott, Head of Clinical Pharmacy; Lucy Coull, Dispensary and Stores Manager.
What services are provided?
- Dispensing of in-patient chart prescriptions
- Supply of Discharge medication
- Out-patient prescriptions from the various outpatient clinics
- Day case patients requiring medication
- Outside units/hospitals
- Clinical trials
- Hospital-only prescribed medication
- Various emergency kits used in hospital wards and departments
- Procurement and distribution of all medication
- Ward Top-up service
- Dietetics products
- Aseptic dispensing
- Chemotherapy injections and infusions
- Extemporaneous preparations
- TPN (nutrition that goes directly into the bloodstream)
Quality Control Function
- Environmental monitoring
- Gas testing
- Clinical pharmacy activity on wards
- Medical information service for patients and staff
How can I get a referral?
On the ward – ask a member of staff to refer you to a member of the pharmacy team.
Contact us directly on 01493 452387.
We are only able to answer questions relating to medication supplied at an Out-patient appointment or related to a recent In-patient admission.
How can I contact the department?
Dispensary: 01493 452387
Pharmacy Stores: 01493 452388
Production (TPN, Aseptics): 01493 452390
Chief Pharmacist: Chris Street
Deputy Chief Pharmacist: Charles Barsted
Dispensary and Stores Manager: Lucy Coull
Head of Clinical Pharmacy: Kalvin Scott
Principal Pharmacist Support Services (Production): Mario Price
Procurement and Homecare Manager: Clare Harper
Clinical Lead Pharmacist: Amy Skinner