During your visit
Your rights and responsibilities
We believe you have the right to expect the following from us:
- Confidentiality about your personal and medical details
- Receive safe and effective care and treatment
- Be treated with respect and dignity regardless of your age, gender, race or faith
- Receive full explanations regarding any treatments you may be offered, including any risks involved and any possible alternatives, before you decide to give consent. You should also receive full information on all aspects of your condition/treatment and the possible outcomes. There are leaflets available explaining more fully about consent. Please ask if you would like to read them.
- Privacy for examinations and consultations
- The presence of a chaperone during examinations if you request this
- Involvement in the planning of your discharge from hospital
- Make your own decision as to whether you would like to consent to students being involved in your care
- Opt out of anonymised national and local surveys and data collection if you wish
- Feedback your views on the care that you receive
We recognise that you have rights as a patient. We feel that you, as a patient also have responsibilities to the Trust.
- To treat staff and your fellow patients with respect and consideration at all times
- To keep the team caring for you informed if you have any special needs so that they can ensure that appropriate arrangements can be made for you
- To inform your doctor or a member of your nursing team if there is any change in your condition or if problems arise during your treatment
- To provide our staff with all relevant information regarding past illnesses, medication or any other treatments you are undertaking
- To observe hospital policies – for example the ‘Smoking’ policy and ‘Mobile Phone’ policy
- Inform a member of nursing staff if you have any legal arrangements in place that might affect your care, such as Advanced Decisions.
For more information regarding visiting during the coronavirus Covid-19 pandemic please visit our page here.