- Head of Ophthalmology Department
- Cataract surgery (including refractive cataract surgery)
- Cornea & External Eye Disease
Tom Butler is a consultant ophthalmologist at James Paget University Hospital, specialising in refractive cataract surgery, cornea and ocular surface disease. He trained in Leeds and Nottingham, before gaining international sub-specialty training at the Sydney Eye Hospital, and the Save Sight Institute, University of Sydney, Australia, where he developed his skills in corneal surgery, corneal transplantation and complex cataract surgery. Mr Butler is Clinical Lead for the Eye Department, and is a surgical skills trainer at the Royal College of Ophthalmologists, London. He has recently introduced a new virtual-reality training programme for trainee surgeons from across East Anglia. He has published in many international journals, and he is a member of the European Society of Cataract & Refractive Surgeons.
- Fellow of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists
- Member of the European Society of Cataract & Refractive Surgeons
- Surgical skills tutor at the Royal College of Ophthalmologists
- Regional Lead for Simulation Training in Ophthalmology